Skip to main content

Manic Pop Namesake & the Music that Goes with It

I don't think I ever formally explained Manic Pop's namesake here on the blog. 

I suppose it's not absolutely necessary but it's also interesting background/lore.



Way back when Pandora was relatively new back in 2005/06 I plugged in my favorite band, Sloan and got a whole slew of bands with great music that I had never heard before and I was someone who was quite used to digging for the "gems".

I fell in love with a song called "It's a Good Thing" by That Petrol Emotion, on an album titled Manic Pop Thrill.



That album became so elusive to me. I had been wanting it, wanting it, but any time I came across it on Amazon it was $30. Granted, it was an import and yes, imports can be expensive but I just didn't have the money.

I'd discuss the name with my boyfriend at the time about exactly what a "manic pop thrill" meant. We arrived at the interpretation that when you hear an awesome new song that you completely and instantly fall in love with - that's a manic pop thrill.
Pop art by Gary Grayson.

At this time of my life, I was finding lots of manic pop thrills - from That Petrol Emotion's "It's a Good Thing" to Primal Scream's "Gentle Tuesday", to new and old Sloan songs, Sub Sub's "This Time I'm Not Wrong" featuring Bernard Sumner from New Order which would later become the UK band Doves, minus Sumner.

Years ago, I started this as a music blog under the recommendation of an up-and-coming Chicago musician friend because I had such a vast music knowledge at the time and was so immersed in that culture. I had wanted to be a writer, and music was my passion more than anything even though I was in fashion design school.

My music knowledge obviously fizzled as in recent years as I have become slightly dis-interested in newer music. I've lost that "manic pop thrill" you might say aside from a few new things here and there that actually sound like old music; Chicago band Secret Colours who are a psychedelic mix of Stone Roses and My Bloody Valentine as well as Foxygen who sound not unlike a mix of Velvet Underground and their contemporaries Ariel Pink on their first EP.  I've revamped and removed many original posts in this blog's original incarnation but the basis is still the same.

 The music of my life is much a reflection of my own aesthetic, my own life; a mix of 90s Britpop and 60s psychedelia, something band Secret Colours says they "revel in the bastard seed" of being. Genius.
Peter Max, pop art.

I've grown up in a very musical atmosphere as my dad was the vocalist in 70's progressive rock band Mercenary. I don't even know who uploaded this video because there still is a small underground fanbase for them. My dad was opera-trained with a 3 1/2 octave vocal range and many musicians in his band were prodigies, some who played Carnegie Hall as a violinist at age 5. 

What I'm saying is: music was not a choice for me. It's in my blood. Hence, the namesake of Manic Pop.

As tired and overdone as it is, I do love pop art which is another reason "pop" stuck for me, as well as many musician friends complaining about "pop music these days". Pop can be a dirty word in the sense that when you say "pop music" you have people who get really divided over it. Pop music didn't used to be a bad thing. I'm interested in the division of people around that word and the visceral reaction to it. 

Like Warhol, I'm also interested in consumerism, as well as how it affects fashion and the psychology and sociology of fashion. So many judgements about us are made by our fashion choices, other people's fashion choices, and it affects how we choose to represent ourselves, friends we make, jobs we get. People frequently underestimate the power of fashion and how it relates to everyday life.

I'm in love with bright color, shape, symmetry, and the dreaminess of psychedelia and I choose to represent myself that way through fashion choices as well as music. We all do.
Supergrass album and cover I fell in love with as a teen.

So with that, Manic Pop is the culmination of my interpretation of the the entirety of the psychology/sociology of fashion as well as music melded together. It's how history affects and influences the present as well as living in a beautiful, self-created world all your own.

You create your own world through choices. It's all yours.

I still actually don't own Manic Pop Thrill, the album that is. I suppose I don't need to now as I can listen to it on Spotify without buying it but yet I am still someone who collects albums for artwork, liner notes, and having a physical copy.  If it spurred all this for me, isn't $30 worth it?

Bonus: Manic Pop Thrill was released in May 1986, the year and month I was born!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using