Skip to main content

A Vintage Dress and a Home-spun 70s Jacket


I'm finally back! And with a new look...! 

I'm so excited that it's finally fall-ish weather! I've had this dress in my closet now for about a month or so. Me and Max went to a garage sale right down the street and I bought this dress from a sweet old Polish lady who said her American name was "Harriet". She talked to us for about half an hour and said that this dress used to be her daughter's. I absolutely love polyester dresses! (I know - I'm weird.)  I think I bought it from her for about $2. I am a complete sucker for retro shirt dresses. 

I think it's funny how I also have a thing for anything orange. Perhaps because it reminds me of my favorite time of year? 

 Even though this haircut is about a month old, it's new to everyone on here. About 2 1/2 years ago my hair was black and bob-ish. I don't know what happened - why did it get so long? Why was it my natural color when it was almost always black for 4 years prior? Perhaps I had needed a change. Either way, it's back! It's not as angled as I wanted this time, but it looks fine.

Also, here is an introduction to a jacket that was about 8 months in the making here. I finished it about a month ago, but due to personal turmoil I hadn't taken photos or posted about it. Plus now, it's the perfect time of year to start wearing it!
I'm not sure why it took me so long to make it, other than the fact that I messed up my first collar to it and learned the hard way to block my knit fabric. This is especially necessary if you are working with a different size yarn and/or size needles than your direction says. (This may be common sense for seasoned knitters, but I have only done a few knitwear projects.)

Also, this pattern (see original design below from the 70s) didn't have a lining pattern. (Jacket with no lining?!) So I made my own lining pattern from the existing pattern which I had to trace off since pieces overlap on it.


I also had to use snaps on the inside of the jacket although the 70s photo looks like they used similar fabric thickness. My buttonholer doesn't handle fabric thickness very well on my machine for some reason. I thought I was doomed until I thought, "Ohmigod! Snaps!" I did happen to stitch on the buttons for a faux-button look. Without them, it would have been weird.

 Sort of an unusual pattern, but I'm into it. I started with knitting the variegated yarns back in January. Me and Max walked around the fabric store one day with just the cuffs in search of the perfect fabric for it, which ended up being in the upholstery section!



I was also thrilled to find out that Butterick had patterns on sale yesterday for 99 cents a piece (good catch, Max!) and was excited to know that they have an entire retro pattern line! I got 2 of them from the late 1940s. Typically, I make all my own patterns but it's nice to learn some patternmaking from commercial ones. I sort of hate the notations on commercial patterns and think it's something I should have learned in school, but I know how to make technical production patterns. I suppose that's what counts?

Stay tuned for photos of my cloud dress! (Here's a photo from my Instagram account - terrible photo quality -  of me printing the fabric by hand.) Also, see this.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using