Skip to main content

Nicole VS Niko Photoseries

It's been a moment since I've posted, I know. I've been settling into my new digs here, setting up the sewing room, and actually been taking an online class on how to complete my PDF sewing patterns.

If you remember, I was working on a PDF for the Petra Dress in January. And while I got super-super far on that, there were some pieces to the puzzle I was missing - like how to tile the pattern for printing. I graded the pattern but wasn't happy with my nesting and some of the pieces in general, but this class is helping me develop a very clean version of those sewing patterns and filling in the blanks. 

I'm excited to see where this takes me!

On another note, I am spending some free time being creative in ways I haven't been in some time. That way right at the moment is taking creative photos. 

I got out of Chicago at the perfect time for myself -- I'd been looking for an excuse for quite some time to leave and big factors that keep anyone in one spot all fell through all at once. It's as if the universe was telling me, "Get outta here. You don't belong here anymore!" And it was true. Nothing against Chicago, but it was just time for me to go.

Since I am back in the same place I went to middle school and high school (and haven't lived here in 10 years) it's really interesting to feel as if there is a juxtaposition with your former self. Everywhere I go, I have this feeling like former me (I went by "Niko" in high school) is following me around. There are constant reminders of the person I left here when I was 18 and I have been exploring "her" through spending some time with her - not only in my notebooks from those years, but also through a mini photo series.

Back in high school, I owned a van - it was an '89 Dodge Ram Cargo Van which I owned until about 2006. Now, I own a '97 Dodge Ram Van (seen above) - completely unintentional that it was the same style! I'm in the process of looking for some really great retro-looking flower power decals. It wouldn't be very me if I didn't make my vehicle look a little jazzed up and....happy.

 Current me is on the left here, former me aka "Niko" is on the right. Yes, that shirt, shoes, and boombox bag are all from high school! Some of the very few things I have left. Former me was very sassy, bold, ridiculous, and completely fearless. It's how I ended up in Chicago.

I've compiled some reference photos which stuck out in my mind about how I looked and acted back in high school, over 10 years ago.

The photo above with "Niko" on the back of the new van essentially recreates the photo from high school below:

Pictured: My sister, best friend at the time, Robby on the roof, and me in 2004.

The pants in this photo (circa 2003) were the inspiration for me using the striped jacket as well as the hairstyle, even though this photo is impossibly blurry.

 I also seriously wore a pink feather boa around a lot when I was 14, so that's why that makes an appearance. I was a weird one!

This one might be my favorite out of all the shots so far. Yes, that "Niko" belt is also something I had made and wore around in high school! I thought it was perfect to wear for this photo series.


This one is a bit ridiculous, but you get the idea.

I have a few more locations set up in mind for this photo series. I've been taking photos in places that were and are important to me both then and now: with my van, the woods, etc. I have a few more ideas in mind.

One thing I have learned so far about playing my former self in these: It's interesting how you look back sometimes and think your former self was "so cool". At least, that's in my case. However, while playing my "old self" and dressing like my old self, I get the sense of the lack of refinement I had. I was bold and brash, but often times wasn't as sensitive as I am now. I was fearless because I was naive and young. 

I also had no idea how to do my makeup! Seriously. I caked on eyeliner for these photos like I used to wear! I stand taller playing "Niko" but I don't have the same sense of self-awareness as my current self. "Niko" was much about drawing attention to herself where as current me is more about drawing attention to my design work and creative output. And that makes complete sense - Niko hardly ever actually made anything except for wrote obsessively. Every single day of high school is documented for me. It's insane.

But current me spends more time actually creating more than ever; sewing patterns, garments, art, working with resin, developing content for my blog, etc. 

Either way, this is a fun study for me. I'm having fun with the juxtaposition and seeing the results of the photos!




Stay tuned for more in the photo series!







Comments

  1. I love this photoseries! It's such a fun idea and so well done. I assume everyone's teen self was pretty embarassing. Mine sure was! Actually, well into my 20s...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a clever idea! high school me is quite similar to yours, loud, brash and naughty, and now im quieter and more reserved. funny how life turns out! And that bely buckle made me laugh so hard! I got one when i was 16 and i wanted it to say Cat, but i had to have 4 letters, so i went for Cato, which no one ever called me so the one time i wore it my friends made lots of confused comments! its now in my "memory" box. Glad also to see you settling happily into your home town again! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using