Skip to main content

Date with Ikea


 So yesterday me and Max decided it was a fun idea to go on a little "date" at Ikea. Little did I know, you don't really come back from Ikea empty-handed. We accidentally bought this orange Billy bookshelf!

Those of you that have never been to Ikea - it's this giant place full of different "rooms" of furniture and home accessories (about 3 floors) and they even have a food court where you can get Swedish meatballs, salmon lasagna, sandwiches, etc. plus a cafe downstairs with cinnamon buns, hot dogs... it's kind of awesome.

We almost bought these hexagonal mirrors but bought so many other things I think we forgot about them. Plus, where would we put them? The house is pretty well-furnished to begin with.

I rarely wear this snowflake sweater vest, but perhaps I should more. I bought it during my short run working at Anthropologie in 2006 during college. It's the only thing clothing-wise I bought from there because I had to be soooo careful with money.

I must say: I am quite spoiled by my SLR. We only took my new point and shoot because it was easier to carry as well as much more inconspicuous, thus slightly lower quality photos. Max kept telling me not to worry about getting "yelled at" for taking photos, but I'm so used to that being the case in stores!

 Perhaps as close as I will get to ever having a turquoise kitchen.


No, we didn't get this. Haha.

I think we spent a good 3 hours altogether at the Ikea in Schaumburg yesterday. Definitely a fun inside activity during the winter. Only problem now is that we want more things than we knew we needed.

I almost went home with some light turquoise blue dishes yesterday (a whole set!) but I stopped myself for I still have my 1970 Spring Blossom green Corelle dishes that are just fine. My mom gave them to me in college, not caring if I broke them. I don't think they were supposed to last this long!

Bookshelf fits right in with the room! I don't know why I should be surprised: it has an early 70s theme going on anyway with the avocado and orange.

We're still filling it up, but that shouldn't take long.


Sweater vest - Anthropologie
Yellow cardigan - gift, originally from Forever21
Orange Skirt - BKI
Glasses - Urban Eyecare from 2009
Earrings - Strange Cargo
Boots - Call It Spring

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using