Skip to main content

2011 Mix

I usually make a mix CD every year just for the hell of it - sometimes it will be smack-dab in the middle of the year, sometimes it will be appropriately at the end, but most of the time it serves as a time capsule for the frame of mind I'm in and a means to "visit" that year again, should I so choose. (Cornball, I know but hey!)

I started them in 2003 (my junior year of high school going into my senior year) and continued up to 2006 but somehow forgot about '07, '08, and '09.

I always feel like 2005 and 2006 were awesome years for music and I suppose after that, there wasn't anything exciting enough going on that was noteworthy enough for a mix CD.(There probably actually was, but I was unenthusiastic at the time.)

My mix CDs are all about telling a story, in a way, of the year. Some songs are attached with specific events, some are a new artist I was excited about, some are songs that came out that calendar year... a true mix CD. This past year was all about be delving deeper into artists I had for many years overlooked. I finally got into New Order via Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr's side project in the early 90s, Electronic (their self-titled was on repeat on my iPod maybe 3 months solid of 2011), got further into more electronic-based music (Chateau Marmont, still collecting Saint Etienne records, Toro Y Moi with his sampled collages),  enjoyed a bit more chillwave, and punctuated it all with the ever-present 60s throwback sound of the likes of Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, The Gris Gris, King Khan and the Shrines. 

This past year saw releases from basically all of my top 5 bands/recording artists as well as going to shows of some of them. My all-time favorite band Sloan released an album in May (the day after my birthday!), my first time seeing (and meeting) French band, Tahiti 80 released The Past, the Present, and The Possible and then I saw them in March, two Toro Y Moi releases (one early, the second in September) and a show in April, as well as my dear friend Scott with his project Glossies finally releasing an album I provided some backing vocals to tracks in 2010 but released in 2011... it overall was a good year for music.

By the end, I was obsessed with the Radio Dept.'s album Clinging to a Scheme - a band a friend had recommended I should listen to probably well over a year ago but for some reason, I took my time. Perhaps I wasn't ready for them earlier.

I do believe that sometimes in order to understand what's going on currently in music, you need to dig deeper, back to those band's influences and predecessors to fully understand how the sound may have mutated or where inspiration struck. In a way, if this doesn't happen (at least a little bit) it's much like reading a book out of order and the meaning may get lost on you. Other music is easily enjoyed without the background information either way.

I also finally got into Broken Social Scene almost right as they broke up (how timely of me). This tends to happen to me a lot.

So after all that.... here is the official mix I created. I kept more songs on here than I normally would, but it's fine as now we don't have to worry about fitting it all onto a CD and can create playlists in the land of the internet.  Just for fun (and for past-referential reasoning) I also included my 2005 mix.

Whatever the reason, these are the songs that meant the most in 2011.
Enjoy and hopefully, find some new music along the way.


 Comprehensive 2011 Mix


2005 Mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

How Print on Demand Sites Helped Me! And Pros and Cons

I don't know about you, but I don't always have a ton of time.  Well, ok -- maybe that was before the pandemic hit. But one of the things I have learned over time being a designer of sorts and loving fashion design was that it seemed I never had enough time to do/make everything I wanted to have available within a product line to sell. Especially not when I was working a full-time job either!  Bags! Shoes! And yeah, duh -- clothing! It seemed most of my friends who are designers made all of their own items from scratch on their machines and I just didn't want to sit at my machine after working 40+ hours a week. Maybe for myself only but not as a side hustle. But I always had requests from people - "Can you make me something? I want something designed by you!"  I really appreciated the sentiment, but often times it was just as confusing/hard for me as it was for them.  I would sit there and go "How should I adjust this for them? Am I even gonna find that fabri