Skip to main content

$10 Dress and the Beginnings of my Latch Hook Rug!

 So this is another find from the other day at Sears - this dress! A whole $10 way on sale. The colors are some of my favorites. I am actually wearing black jeggings underneath yet again. This is something I wouldn't normally recommend aesthetically, however like I mentioned in my last post, my toe won't let me as circulation gets cut off very easily for me with tights. Bizarre, but what are you going to do?
I'm attempting to show off my favorite mushroom necklace here... clearly not working.

But this worked! I don't know why my grandmother ever had this necklace. By the 70s when this whole thing was popular, she was in her mid to late 30s, possibly early 40s. Hip grandma? My mom was just graduating high school in 1975.

Orange and black can sometimes look a little Halloween-ish but I think this orange isn't so bad because it's not that bright. I tend to wear much brighter colors in the winter due to lack of sunlight here in Chicago. I'm pretty sure it rivals Seattle/Portland areas with lack of sunlight, but just a smidgen better. 

Today is sunny-ish which is why the photos are slightly over-exposed on my manual setting but... oh well. They looked fine in the camera, of course. 


And here is the moment you've all been waiting for (or not) - my latch hook rug! 
The canvas arrived yesterday to my surprise, so I immediately got to work on it. 

I actually laid it out on a rug I had upstairs in my sewing room because that size is the perfect size. I ordered 2 yards of canvas from Everythinglatchhook.com

This is what the awesome rug from upstairs looks like. I actually bought it Target about 9 years ago when I was moving away to college. It was part of their "dorm room" series and was on sale for only $10! That's an insane bargain for an area rug. I don't know why no one wanted them but I wish I had bought more than one. 

 So after laying out the canvas, I trimmed the edges leaving 1 inch around the border for binding after completion. I have seen some people bind the rug first - I think it's just a matter of preference. Then, with my computer up with my sketch on the screen of my design, I hand-drew the lines as close as I could to my original design. I used an old marker with almost a paint-brush like end, but I'm sure a Sharpie would work too.

 Next, I dragged the canvas to the sewing room so I could paint on the canvas my color template. (The cats would have gone nuts, ruined my colorwork so I locked myself in the room!)

I used old acrylic paint I had to paint it. I didn't paint the entire canvas 1.) because I didn't have that much paint and 2.) Because that would take way too long and is completely unnecessary. If you had a much smaller project then sure. Paint away! But I really didn't want to paint 15 sq. feet of a rug.

And this morning, my yarn arrived!! It was completely unexpected because I had called Herrschner's on Monday because dummy me entered a wrong email address while ordering and they told me it was expected to ship out within 7-10 days. I told the woman this was fine by me since I didn't expect to complete this until January 2014! Haha. 

Pretty sure she thought I was nuts. 

I ordered 6 packages each of lime green, sea green, and straw yellow. I definitely don't think it's going to be enough for the whole rug but it's a start! The yarn packages were on sale for about 80 cents each. I thought the rolls would be larger (as the rolls in my latch hook kit for a Christmas tree skirt are larger) but I suppose times have changed - haha. This yarn is 100% acrylic.

Note: I'm way off of my original estimate of $30-$40 for the rug - total cost will probably add up to about $150, but broken in small chunks over the year it will all work out.

The cats are already messing with the rug, so we'll see how this goes. Wish me luck! I'll be doing updates here and there about this thing but seriously - don't expect it completed until January 2014! 

There will be many fashion design projects in between. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

How Print on Demand Sites Helped Me! And Pros and Cons

I don't know about you, but I don't always have a ton of time.  Well, ok -- maybe that was before the pandemic hit. But one of the things I have learned over time being a designer of sorts and loving fashion design was that it seemed I never had enough time to do/make everything I wanted to have available within a product line to sell. Especially not when I was working a full-time job either!  Bags! Shoes! And yeah, duh -- clothing! It seemed most of my friends who are designers made all of their own items from scratch on their machines and I just didn't want to sit at my machine after working 40+ hours a week. Maybe for myself only but not as a side hustle. But I always had requests from people - "Can you make me something? I want something designed by you!"  I really appreciated the sentiment, but often times it was just as confusing/hard for me as it was for them.  I would sit there and go "How should I adjust this for them? Am I even gonna find that fabri