Skip to main content

Year End Lists Are So Last Year...

I haven't done a "year-end" list in a long while - mostly because I haven't been moved to in a while - but I think the time has come to list albums and songs of 2010. It's a new decade with new sounds.

A music buzz word I picked up on this year was "chillwave", likely coined by hipster satire blog HipsterRunoff.com and redistributed across various blogs and websites across the world. The music is characterized by "their heavy use of effects processing, synthesizers, looping, sampling, and heavily filtered vocals with simple melodic lines" according to Wikipedia including such bands as Toro Y Moi, Memory Tapes, and Neon Indian. Wikipedia also mentions that these bands derive musical styles from the 80s "often with a laptop at their very core", but re-interpret it with a less-aggressive, soft-focus and low-fi version of 80s synthpop, with a more "chilled out" sensibility, hence "chillwave".

I had the chance to see Toro Y Moi open for The Ruby Suns early on this year and even though he just had almost all of his gear stolen after a gig in Brooklyn (subsequently canceling 4 shows afterward). I was lucky enough to catch him on his first night back with The Ruby Suns after re-grouping and even with less gear, he still put on an awesome show.

Funny how these days, a genre is loosely based on a string of artists across the nation who all have similar musical qualities (maybe you can thank last.fm for that) rather than how it used to be - certain corners of the world. You had groupings such as Elephant 6 collective and grunge rock bands were generally born in Seattle until the proliferation of that sound. The internet and the way we share and listen to music has changed a lot for us in the past few years.

This year we also saw the demise of 2 music-related sites - one more important than the other. On May 31st, Lala.com shut down as directed by Apple Inc. after a buyout by them. The best thing about Lala was the way you could discover musical artists. Type in the artist, genre, album and BAM! there you had a full-song preview. Upload your own music to share with others, make playlists, favorite songs. Sure, after your first listen all you get later on is a 30-second sample, but it was a good way to find out if you liked a new artist or if they only had a good single.

Limewire met it's demise in September as an injunction from US Federal courts detailed that Limewire "prevent the searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or file distribution functionality, and/or all functionality" of their program as mentioned on Wikipedia.org. People argue that Limewire was causing the deterioration of the sales in the music industry, but it will take far more than the halting of Limewire's services to revitalize the music industry to the way we bought music pre-Napster, pre-iTunes.

Enough of all this though, let's get down to the nitty gritty which is the list of albums and songs that I either fell in love with in 2010, took me on a journey through the entire album(s) (Rhode Island), or just will leave me with fond memories of a year gone by. Not all are necessarily released in 2010 but the majority are, if not 2009.

Top Songs of 2010:

1. Bloodstream - Evangelicals
2. Spring (Air France Remix) - Saint Etienne
3. Pretty Together - Sloan (from their B-Sides album)
4. Louderfilms - Glossies (from their upcoming release early to mid-2010)
5. Stylo - Gorillaz
6. Futures and Folly - Blitzen Trapper
7. Lover's Carvings - Bibio
8. Graceless - Crayon Fields
9. Low Shoulders - Toro Y Moi
10. Seventeen - The Nothingheads (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingheads)

Top albums of 2010:

1. Rhode Island - The Third Person/Internecine EPs (download both at www.rhodeisland.org.uk)(2010)
2. Evangelicals - The Evening Descends (2007)
3. Sloan - B-Sides Win Collection (2010)
4. Zeus - Say Us (2010)
5. Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue (2009)
6. Toro Y Moi - (2009)
7. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (2010)
8. White Denim - Fits (2009)
9. Procedure Club - Doomed Forever (2010)
10. 1900s - Return of the Century (2010)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

How Print on Demand Sites Helped Me! And Pros and Cons

I don't know about you, but I don't always have a ton of time.  Well, ok -- maybe that was before the pandemic hit. But one of the things I have learned over time being a designer of sorts and loving fashion design was that it seemed I never had enough time to do/make everything I wanted to have available within a product line to sell. Especially not when I was working a full-time job either!  Bags! Shoes! And yeah, duh -- clothing! It seemed most of my friends who are designers made all of their own items from scratch on their machines and I just didn't want to sit at my machine after working 40+ hours a week. Maybe for myself only but not as a side hustle. But I always had requests from people - "Can you make me something? I want something designed by you!"  I really appreciated the sentiment, but often times it was just as confusing/hard for me as it was for them.  I would sit there and go "How should I adjust this for them? Am I even gonna find that fabri