Thursday, September 12, 2013

Burda Fall Coat

It finally cooled off a bit to take some photos of my fall coat!

 Although I had planned on making my own version of the Pierre Cardin one that I so loved, I found this pattern on Burda about a month ago. I figured if it's just for me, why really go through alllll the trouble of making my own coat pattern?

 I'm still not 100% thrilled on the back of it (I had some issues with the pointy-ness) but this is as good as it's gonna get. There comes a point on projects where even if you rip it out a few times, you just have to go with it or you'll never get it done. It's good to be meticulous, but don't do it to your detriment.

You guys wouldn't believe how hard it is to find coat fabric out there! The fabric I used was a wool melton blend from Fabric.com. I first toured around Joann's to see if they had anything (of course they didn't) but Fabric.com had some nice colors. This wool blend is nice and thick! I was really impressed with the quality of it. The brown lining fabric is from my standby, Textile Discount Outlet. I think 3 yards of it was only $8.

 Here's my other issue with this pattern - there is no button extension/slight overlapping in the front. Sure, I could have edited it myself on this pattern, but you know when you're cooking a recipe for the first time and you want to follow the instructions? Yeah, pretty much that.

I added 4 hooks and eyes (though it said to use 3) but they still make the coat swingy in the center. Before I even made it, I had an idea to add 3 frog closures on the front, but I think I'm going to add toggles. I just can't imagine a fall coat not being able to close very well. You can even see in the Burda photo that theirs doesn't necessarily close either though! 
Another thing about this pattern - no lining! They just tell you to add on the facing, trim all your seams with a bias tape. Who makes a jacket with no lining?! Perhaps they were trying to keep it simple for home sewers, but I know that there are plenty of home sewers who wouldn't have trouble with a lining at all. 

This is just a self lining using the coat pattern pieces as lining pieces, only accounting for the hems of each. There is a 2" hem on the self and no seam allowance added on the lining to get it to pull upwards like it does. Pays to save all your old school handouts! Haha. 


This coat also has 2 inside pockets. I used some leftover psychedelic stretch knit (the Burda pattern says to use a piece of jersey). Can't have a jacket without pockets! In retrospect, I should have made a facing that was green for the pockets. I always do this on my self-designed stuff, but ya know.... back to the recipe thing.

I also want to introduce you to my new lady! After careful consideration, I've named her Bettina, but you can call her Betsy. I'll be using her mostly for Etsy photos.

Speaking of which... it's almost time for the Manic Pop Grand Opening! It's looking closer to the end of September as I finish up the last dress of my collection, the Scallop Dress. But I'm still right on time! I'm quite proud of myself for following through on this mini collection as it's the first collection I've followed through on since my senior one for school which was uh... almost 6 years ago. Time flies, kids!

Here is a preview of what's happening in the studio:

Scallop dress pieces.

Fabrics being used for more tops like the Mod Faces top to be sold in the Etsy shop. Top one will have peter pan collar!

Until next time, happy sewing and happy autumn! It's the best time of the year!

1 comment:

  1. Great coat! I always have problems with Burda patterns. I'm not sure if its because modern patterns are not a well instructed, but none of my vintage patterns have been as weird as the burdastyle ones.
    Cant wait to see that scalloped dress too!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips