Skip to main content

Retro Book Installment No. 5


 
 Today's retro installment comes from a book I found at a garage sale about 2-3 weeks ago by Mechanix Illustrated's How To Do It Encyclopedia. This sweet old Polish woman named Harriet was telling me all about her life and talking about her husband right in front of me ("He's ok, but eh! What the hell?" she said with a Polish accent coming through.) She also told me to "use your brain" when thinking about kids in the future, who you pick as a husband, etc. Hilarious but perhaps sound advice from a seemingly near-90 year old woman.


 I'm assuming these were her husband's books he no longer cares about. They only had 2 of them and this one is Volume 14, "Sa through Sw", printed in 1961.

I also got an awesome 60s polyester dress from her which she says was her daughter's (that will make an appearance soon enough!), a bag, and some curtains which fit perfectly in a window here.


I saw the photo of this on the back of the book - look how hilarious this is! (My boyfriend commented that it looks like they're on Tatooine in this photo. Haha.)



 So obviously, the idea of nuclear war was a very real idea back in 1961 and a good idea to start planning out how you would construct one of these on your own, given the space and time. I don't know when anyone who had the money to construct one of these would have found the time to make one of these, but hey. I guess if you wanted to?


I love the detailed layout instructions right here. 


"General Specifications Recommended by the Office of Civil Defense". Wow. My boyfriend was reading over much of this and he says that much of the information about how nuclear radiation works in here is outdated.  Not sure if it's on this page, but there is part where they detail to construct your shelter with specific angles so the radiation doesn't come in. I'm not well-versed in any of this, but he says radiation doesn't work like that and you'd be out of luck either way, build "correctly" or not.

 And look how proud the man in the middle is here! The women are like, "Dear God... do we really have to live here?" Does a radio or TV work underground like this so they can hear if it's safe to go outside?

Clearly I know nothing about fallout shelters, but I definitely enjoyed reading these pages as I hope, did you.

Yes, I am back! I had a few personal issues going on ( turns out I'm NOT moving from my awesome house... yet.) And I have a few more fashion creations to post on the blog (including my new fall jacket about 7 months in the making - yikes! and the cloud dress that I learned the super-hard way to hand-baste the zipper into it.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using