Skip to main content

Creating a Cohesive Brand Identity for Fashion Design

Sometimes people ask me things....

Things like, "Why do you use the same colors all the time?" (technically, I don't but people see a common palette.) "Why do you do lots of stripes in your designs?", and "How do you decide what to design next?"

You notice that many well-known fashion designer's work is instantly recognizable (even if you're not particularly a fan): Donna Karan - famous for her wrap dress,  Missoni  - zigzag stripes, and Tommy Hilfiger - red, white, and blue, as examples.

Well, in this post, I'm going to talk about my personal design philosophy/branding here at Manic Pop, and how you can develop your own cohesive identity for your work too!

Manic Pop 2012/13


  • Playing Off a Theme/Inspiration: For Manic Pop - Stripes!
Myth: You don't need to "do it all" - focus on what makes your clothing, YOU and work from that.  The stripes element comes from 2 places for me: one is my mod rainbow rings pictured above. I've had the middle one since I was about 8 years old (1994) and it's a mod lucite 60s reproduction ring. 

I've worn this ring all throughout college and then nearly hyper-ventilated when I found the 2nd one (ring finger) in 2010 at a secondhand shop. I do have some actual 60s ones, but these are the ones with my favorite colors.


 Second: I have a collection of rainbow mugs that I started back in about 2002 when I first started shopping at thrift stores. Why rainbows? I don't know. To me, it represents a full color palette and a tool box for creating anything. For when you mix these colors, you can make any color you want. Hokey a little, maybe, but that's what works for me.

So because of both of these inspirations, my work tends to come out a bit retro/mod/60s. I try not to wholly limit myself to that, but it's become a bit of an identity now. I'm not opposed to changing it up a bit, but these elements almost always exist in my work. It also helps that I spent a majority of my childhood/teen years listening to the 60s/70s oldies stations and loving Peter Max-style art. 60s and 70s album covers are huge with me and design elements on those covers leech into my personal design style.

So, define what theme is you. Is it retro? Eco-friendly? Perhaps you have a love of florals? Think of the shapes in your design work, common silhouettes, and textures you like to use. Make a list of all the things you love, then draw correlations between them.

I also figured out a "theme" because of an artist I went to college with. I noticed that she was basically doing just variations of a design she always does using only black, onto a color, clear, or white surface. She made that her "thing".

Think about what your "thing" is and go straight for it. Don't worry about what anyone else says.
  • Define Your Color Palette.
This one is very important! Color identifies a brand perhaps much more than you would think.


 Orange and teal are HUGE for me!

Now, your color palette can vary a bit from collection to collection, but you should have your "stand-by" color palette. These are all colors that are pleasing to my eye and also complimentary. I can mix any of these colors with each other and still make an eye-catching garment. These overall colors my change over time, but it's important to be consistent. Note: I also include black and white with any palette automatically.

An easy and fun way to create your own color palette is to go to a paint store and pick up color swatches that you like. Cut them apart, and play with combinations. Take note of the hues, the saturation of them, and complimentary colors. What plays off the other? What would you place together? Pantone is a great resource for color.

Also, pull out images from magazines that you like and see what colors appear most often. Play those colors into your stand-by color palette. 

  • Have Your Own Personal "Rules".
It may seem contrary to have rules with something creative, but you need your boundaries. Without parameters, you can easily get lost. It's much easier to design within a small(er) spectrum versus letting you mind go absolutely wild. 

A few rules of mine:
 1.) Design in threes. I'm not entirely sure where I got this from other than the fact that when you design, things usually look good in odd numbers. If you take a look at the photos from the beginning of this post, you will see that many things I do are in threes - 3 fabrics, 3 colors, 3 design lines.

2.) Contrast. I love opposing colors next to each other! This is also why I have always loved and done quite a bit of colorblocking. It's easy to do and it makes a pretty bold impact. Black and white is great and.... bonus! Fits within the mod/theme spectrum.

3.) Bright colors. I love bright colors almost to the point of gaudy but hey! That's my thing!
  • Experiment.
Ok, remember all the rules you just listed for yourself? Now forget about them once in a while. It's still important to always create something outside of your box. Why? Because you never know when you might want to incorporate it into your "brand".  I usually do my experimenting in the form of sketching/throwing it into Photoshop.

Maybe you experiment by draping instead of pattern making. Whatever it is, don't let yourself get stagnant. Branding is all about finding that sweet spot between keeping your identity and preventing yourself from stagnation. Keep it fresh, be bold, and always be true to yourself.

And that's how you'll stand out!

Comments

  1. Lovely post! This definitely has me brainstorming with a little more direction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool!

      This all happened over time for me. Only now did I really break it down into what I did, but it is also based off of how they tell you to design collections in my schooling.

      Delete
  2. I love your rainbow mug collection! It certainly does represent your brand and i think that's cool!
    When i was in Interior Design school we had to come up with a brand. Mine was a black cat. Its so crappy now when i look at it but back then i thought it was so sophisticated! haha
    Do you ever get tired of a colour palette or scheme after you've looked at it too long? (over time)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using