Skip to main content

Frank Lloyd Wright and Holga Photos


After a long hiatus, I am back! 

Now that the weather is nicer I have been taking more adventures and taking lots more photos.  (Arthur is still kicking, by the way. Brian always jokes that he's "the only cat that's ever learned to live with cancer". But he's not pretty anymore and sort of smelly. He's still in quite active condition and having fun though.)

Last Thursday, Brian decided we should go tour the Frank Lloyd Wright house and studio in Oak Park.

For those of you just being introduced to Frank Lloyd Wright, he was an American architect who also did interior design as well as a lot of the stained glass work you see inside his houses and buildings. Frank Lloyd Wright designed around 400 structures including his most famous, Fallingwater which I have seen on a television program some years ago. Wright is known for incorporating organic elements in his architecture such as a waterfall and live trees growing through houses, such as the one we saw last week. He's also heavily influenced by Japanese architecture and also built Prairie style houses, meant to compliment Illinois' landscape

Around 50 of his houses and structures are in Oak Park and Chicago alone - so many of the buildings we saw walking around nearby the home and studio were indeed Frank Lloyd Wright structures. I think my favorite thing about Frank Lloyd Wright might be his stained glass/geometric patterns and shapes which remind me of prismatic design work I do as they incorporate many of the same elements of shape, symmetry, and abstract design.

Of course my camera battery on my point and shoot was dead so I have only cell phone photos and the few Holga photos I took while inside.


  Me outside in front of the house.


 Holga double exposure of the studio and skylight above.

 View from an upstairs window at the Frank Lloyd Wright house.


 Stained glass above at the studio. This is actually a photo from my cell phone which is surprisingly decent.


Also on that roll of Holga photos I got back today are a few more fun images. Some were taken likely last fall and I had forgotten about it until last week when I finished the roll. (It's always like opening a gift when you get Holga photos back because you usually forget what you took.) Many of them have a ghostly quality until I realized today that I had somehow left it on the bulb setting which is ideal for night time, long exposures. Whoops. Not so bad anyway!




 Around the neighborhood.


 
 This house I always joke is the house I want to own. I think it's abandoned but it's a beautiful little house right across from a park. It looks like it would be at home in the woods somewhere in a secluded area. 
 

 
The backyard of this house always reminds me of my old one growing up in Connecticut.



 A fun double exposure of a weird concrete fence and some trees. 



More of the neighborhood. 


I do have some outfit photos from wandering around with Brian today, but I will likely save that for another post. (I also scooped up a copy of Good Housekeeping's New Complete Book of Needlecraft from the early 70s at a thrift store with knitting patterns, sewing patterns, tips and tricks for crafts galore!) 

 Stay tuned! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using