Skip to main content

KwikSew 3932 - Colorblock Queen

I realize I left everyone hanging after my last post, but I was busy moving again! Life has been weird, but at least it's been interesting?

I reconfigured my sewing space for a compact 2nd bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment in Chicago again, so I am gradually re-adjusting to my life out here. It's good. I'm home, and that's all that matters.

This dress has been done for about 3 weeks now (with only about 8 hours of sewing) as many of you may have seen on the Instagram (@manicpop) but only yesterday did I get around to taking some photos of me in it before I actually wear it and go spilling stuff all over it.... like I normally do with ANY garment, unfortunately. Haha.


 Around my usual fabric store, I'm becoming known as the "Colorblock Queen" and I love it. They know me too well.

This dress is KwikSew 3932 and for the life of me, through Googling I can't believe I haven't seen any other renditions of anyone else making this out there. Are they put off by how many pattern pieces the pattern includes as one Pinterest user said? Do they hate colorblock? Are they intimidated by all the seam lines? Or is it the fact that it's a knit fabric pattern?

This pattern was in the "out of print" patterns on the McCall's website and immediately upon seeing it, I knew I had to have it. I'm currently taking a short break from making my own patterns to learn any extra tips and tricks from commercial patterns that I might not know. I'm learning that even commercial patterns are not free from the minor errors I make in patternmaking. 

For this pattern based on my measurements, I cut a size small since the pattern says the finished measurements are 34-35.5" bust, 24.75-26" waist, and 35.5-37" hips. My own current measurements are 34" bust, at times up to a 26.5" waist, and 34.5" hips. Not wanting it to be too tight in the waist, I went for the small even though that seemed to be too small. Lately in any of my woven patterns I make, I have been giving myself about a 1" wearing ease in the waist. With a knit pattern, there is typically a negative ease due to stretch factor but even accounting for negative ease, the pattern seemed like it would be too small at a size small.

HOWEVER, this dress turned out way looser than the measurements it said it would be, even using the correct 1/4" given seam allowance as knits give you way less seam allowance.  I know that this dress is supposed to be a slightly boxier silhouette (meaning it will have added design ease anyway), but even after finishing it, I pulled in the side seams about 1/2" on each side. It was that loose!

 I made mine in the suggested ponte knit and I love how the colors all went together. I have been working a ton more in stretch knits/knits in general and I am totally getting a handle on all of it. Bonus: I won't have to worry when my weight slightly fluctuates!

My only minor error is the back contrast at the neck not 100% lining up. However, I tried to align it about 4 times, pulling out the zipper each time and it really has to do with my technique (or lack thereof) with installing a zipper in a knit. It tends to stretch a bit when sewing, so it makes it more difficult even though nothing was wrong with the seam allowances in my sewing of the bands because those all matched. This dress is fully serged and finished on the inside.

Otherwise, this dress is totally awesome, colorful, comfortable, and was fun to make! Like I said, I finished it in about 8 hours worth but I also am known to be a super-quick sewer now. The instructions weren't difficult in the least bit (and I frequently found myself NOT referring to them or using my own little shortcuts while sewing this).

I have a feeling I'll be wearing this one quite a bit. If I make another one (and I probably might!) it will definitely be in the XS next time.

Don't shy away from this pattern. It was awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

How Print on Demand Sites Helped Me! And Pros and Cons

I don't know about you, but I don't always have a ton of time.  Well, ok -- maybe that was before the pandemic hit. But one of the things I have learned over time being a designer of sorts and loving fashion design was that it seemed I never had enough time to do/make everything I wanted to have available within a product line to sell. Especially not when I was working a full-time job either!  Bags! Shoes! And yeah, duh -- clothing! It seemed most of my friends who are designers made all of their own items from scratch on their machines and I just didn't want to sit at my machine after working 40+ hours a week. Maybe for myself only but not as a side hustle. But I always had requests from people - "Can you make me something? I want something designed by you!"  I really appreciated the sentiment, but often times it was just as confusing/hard for me as it was for them.  I would sit there and go "How should I adjust this for them? Am I even gonna find that fabri