Skip to main content

Castle Dress, NYC, and an Announcement

I'm back! 
I took a nearly week-long vacation to New York and Connecticut and I finished making a new dress 1am, the night before we left!

Me and Max wandered around on Tuesday, one of the stops being Belvedere Castle located in Central Park West. It's pretty much just a lookout point disguised as a castle but fun nonetheless.

 Many people might not know, but Connecticut is actually my homeland. My family all lives in a quaint, New England town in Southern Connecticut about an hour and 45 minutes outside of New York City. In 4th grade, we actually made a field trip to the Statue of Liberty. I remember forcing my mom to come to the top with me, as at that point you could go up to the crown (they might have reopened the crown by now.)

I think memories like that make me want to become a New Yorker, though only time will tell really. I know it's cliche for anyone to live in NYC, but as a fashion designer it's quite difficult to do anything in Chicago unless you are your own startup, are extremely lucky, etc. I hate to say it, but Chicago is hardly a "fashion city" and it breaks my heart as I've tried to make it work for almost a decade.


 I actually love Central Park. I know most people go to the city for the city but you can easily get lost in the feeling that you're not in the city. It's a really great retreat. 

View from Belvedere Castle             


 This dress was whipped up pretty quick - I think you can tell just a little bit. I wanted something extra to wear that would be easy to sew and would include using any fabric scraps I had leftover. Ta da! You get this dress.

Stairs at Belvedere Castle

 The lace ribbon was actually an afterthought while sewing it up, but I think I makes the entire dress.


 We also stopped for a visit on the High Line in Chelsea which consists of old rail tracks that were turned into a garden, more or less. It was a nice thing to enjoy in the city.

The High Line, Chelsea.

We accidentally also wandered by the Chelsea Hotel while we were there.

 Max made me laugh while we were in a train car in Lower Manhattan all by ourselves. I really enjoy the seats that are ALL facing inward. Chicago has seats that go either direction, some facing inward nearby the doors. A few years ago, Chicago tried to replace their train cars with seats like NYC's and everyone made this ridiculous stink about it. I thought Chicagoans were nuts. You can actually see and enjoy the ride on these train cars.

 We also accidentally ended up in Times Square on the way home. It's near 42nd Street which is right by Grand Central, where we had to catch the train back into Connecticut anyway. I think Max had been there already (as had I) yet it was a nice way to end our day in NYC.



Where am I Going in Life? 

I wanted to make an announcement that this coming week I start as an intern with a Chicago fashion designer! It was quite a happy accident - let's just say that social media is your best friend, creatives! This blog was also a big help as it's a rolling portfolio in a way. I'm excited to work with this designer because our styles are quite similar and we share many of the same loves.

I'm not sure what that means for Manic Pop as far as the next 3 months are concerned but I'm hoping to learn a lot. I'll be working 6 if not 7 days a week at times as I must keep my current job. I'll probably have  little time for my own projects with Manic Pop, but we'll see. I have a few ideas in mind I would like to test out.

Thanks to all my friends, family, and followers for support! Manic Pop is not over, just on (possible) hiatus for a bit! But it's all in the journey of being a fashion designer. 










Comments

  1. Congratulations on your new fashion design internship. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress and congrats on the internship!

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

How Print on Demand Sites Helped Me! And Pros and Cons

I don't know about you, but I don't always have a ton of time.  Well, ok -- maybe that was before the pandemic hit. But one of the things I have learned over time being a designer of sorts and loving fashion design was that it seemed I never had enough time to do/make everything I wanted to have available within a product line to sell. Especially not when I was working a full-time job either!  Bags! Shoes! And yeah, duh -- clothing! It seemed most of my friends who are designers made all of their own items from scratch on their machines and I just didn't want to sit at my machine after working 40+ hours a week. Maybe for myself only but not as a side hustle. But I always had requests from people - "Can you make me something? I want something designed by you!"  I really appreciated the sentiment, but often times it was just as confusing/hard for me as it was for them.  I would sit there and go "How should I adjust this for them? Am I even gonna find that fabri