Skip to main content

Between The Burgers

Something super-cheesy I dug up from my last.fm music journal. Maybe I should continue posting on there, but I feel like this one may be a bit more "anonymous" than that one.

So... and ex-boyfriend of mine and I spent about an hour coming up with this one day, laughing our asses off at how ridiculous this was. It still is ridiculous.




Originally written: July 3, 2008.

As if a clothing line, a record label, and a bar in the East Village weren't enough, Pete Wentz goes ahead and opens up a restaurant in Chicago, stupidly titled "Angels & Kings". {"Fueled By Ramen" was even dumber though, so I suppose I should be grateful for the upgrade.} And he has enough money, so why not, right? In 2 years when his band breaks up, he'll at least have a healthy income coming from those investments - people who are still "die hard" Pete Wentz fans even though the trend is over...

Dave and I were talking about all this this morning for whatever reason while I jokingly wondered aloud to myself, "What if our favorite band Sloan had opened up their own restaurant?" The next thing we know, we're making up what the place would be called, what they would serve, and who would be part of what in the restaurant.

I'm not sure it would be very funny unless you get all the Sloan references we made, but this is what we ended up coming up with early this morning, complete with a commercial and everything:


"Between the Burgers" {the name of the restaurant}.

First of all, the commercial which would make you want to go eat at Between the Burgers. Yeah, it looks like a pretty average commercial for like, Applebee's or something, but you have to have Chris on the commercial, complete with all the action kicks and a guitar. It kind of looks like "Money City Maniacs" but with food. "Gimme That" is playing in the background, and Chris tells you to bring along the Junior Panthers {the kids. For delivery, pick it up and dial it!

Once you get there, you actually will meet the members of the band. At least, they'll be involved in the whole process of getting your meal to you.
Of course, the actual members of the band wouldn't work there - we just used it for comedy value.

Andrew - Chef - Some of his quotes would include, "I don't remember how to make that." {referencing how in the documentary part in A Sides Win, he says he "remembers everything" but then when asked he doesn't remember anything.} Jay has also mentioned in the Let's Get Baked with Matt and Dave podcast that Andrew is the "gourmand" of the band, so this is fitting. We imagine Andrew pissed-off looking, in the back with a hat on and a spatula in hand.

Chris - Host - This one is completely obvious as to why.

Patrick - Waiter - Some of his quotes would be "Can't you figure it out?" when people ask him if they could have more time to look at the menu as well as "What's there to decide?"

Jay - Busboy. Jay's polite and shy/quiet demeanor leads him to be the busboy and Dave and I just imagined him hushedly asking, "Are you finished with that ma'am? Can I take your plate away?" Also, picture Jay in a little hat and an apron with a rag over his shoulder.... sorry Jay, we love you but the image in our minds is too funny. Jay would also thank you for coming out tonight. "I wanna thank you". :)

Now the menu? Well, it looks like a setlist, written in black marker. It could change almost every night like a setlist as well.

Menu

Appetizers/Sides:
Sinking Dips (Chips and a gourmet dip)
Golden Eyes onion rings
Great Wall of fries

Entrees:
Blackout bean salad
Take Good Care of the Po' Boy Sandwich
The Action Pact Burger
Seems So Heavy 1/2 lb. Burger
Baby Backstabbin' ribs
Can't Face Up Sandwich
False Alarm Chili
400 Weiners
The Iggy & Angus Beefsteak
People of the Sky Chicken Sandwich
Sizzleteen Fajitas

Junior Panthers: (Kid's Menu)
All items from regular menu, but smaller portions.


Beverages:
500 Up
Coke fizz
Light Beers
Cheap Champagne

Don't feel like stopping in? Well then Greg will be Delivering Maybes to your door. Just call the number on the back of the menu.




Obviously, we have too much time on our hands..

And here is "Money City Maniacs". Just try to imagine a shortened version for the fake commercial we joked about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using