Skip to main content

Collaboration: Tanith Hat and Dress

Today's blog post is in collaboration with the lovely Tanith of Tanith Rowan Designs! 

Tanith has been doing a great series on hats through the decades and picked me to be her 60s girl! Make sure to check out all of her posts! 

I was so excited when Tanith asked me to be a collaborator for this series - based in Australia, she makes some really beautiful vintage-inspired hats! Via our original correspondence some time in February, we talked about my love for bright, out-there colors as well as how I was getting into the whole arrow-motif thing. She was able to put a fun arrow on this hat!

She kept the hat a surprise so when I opened the box I only knew she was sending a helmet-style hat, which I love. 



 
For my contribution to this collaboration, we decided I should make a garment to match with it. I've been wanting an arrow dress for some time, and this is what I came up with!


Quick Photoshop of my sketch for the colorways. Initially, the arrow oddly wasn't a part of the dress until it was suggested by a friend. I think the arrow totally makes this dress, aptly titled the Tanith Dress!

 It's finally nice enough to take photos outside again and we waited for a much warmer day to take these photos. It topped out at almost 80 this day! 


The same person whose idea it was to add the arrow also suggested it look like it was raining in some of the photos. I love the way these shots in the gangway turned out!


And here I am with my Mary Tyler Moore-esque moment!





A very special thanks to Tanith with this, especially sending it from halfway around the world! It was tons of fun and I'm totally looking forward to more collaborations!

And now that the weather is finally nice enough out.... expect more outside photos for my next creations.

Comments

  1. Both the hat and dress look gorgeous! Great designs and you look just fabulous in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that dress! Such a fun outfit and fits you so perfectly . The perfect dress for the perfect hat! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow lady! this is so bright and happy and colourful! i love it! and the hat is so cute. i have a navy one thats quite similar in shape, but i was always stuck with how to wear it, but i think i now know! there is so much colour and joy in this outfit, what a great collaboration =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love!!!

    SSB. https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the nice comments, everyone! It was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both the dress & hat. They look fantastic together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress so much! Thanks for the great collaboration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is so much fun to read! OMG i love rainbows,60s, 70s and all that stuff. Can't wait to see more creations from you! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row square...

Sport Skirt PDF Sewing Pattern

Hi all -- SO EXCITED that I have completed my 1st PDF sewing pattern that is heading out to testers soon! Many of you long-time followers know that this has been a dream of mine for some-odd 6 years or so at this point, and the moment is finally here! It's honestly a blessing to have more time to work on patterns and design projects at this moment in time. I know it's a very difficult time for many, but I am extremely grateful to be able to pursue design interests and create some more fun things to sew for you all in the mean time! This skirt is slated to be my 1st sewing pattern release -- the Sport Skirt! It is a ponte knit skirt with slash side pockets that are hidden within the contrast of the skirt. Originally, this skirt came about because I had a plain orange skirt from Brooklyn Industries that I loved (and still have!) but I also loved the pocket design I did on what I called my Mix n Match Dress from 2012. Me in 2012 with the Mix n Match Dress The ...

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using...